Sleeplessness affects countless people worldwide, with as much as 30% of people reporting they struggle with chronic insomnia. Here in Ireland, three people for every ten people report getting enough sleep each night.
For people who aren’t interested in turning to drugs for relief, there are few effective options. Thankfully, CBD oil shows incredible promise, and many people are already enjoying a better night’s sleep thanks to CBD.
Today, we’ll cover everything you need to know about CBD oil for sleep, and we’ll share the top tips you should know so you can enjoy a deeper and more restful slumber with none of the side effects or dependency concerns associated with prescription medications.
What is CBD Oil?
Cannabidiol, better known as CBD, is one of about eighty different compounds that grow inside marijuana and hemp plants. These compounds are called cannabinoids, and they react to the endocannabinoid system inside our bodies. THC is the most famous cannabinoid, and is responsible for the “high” that marijuana users experience.
Thankfully CBD doesn’t provide the high that marijuana is known to cause. Instead, it delivers many of the therapeutic benefits that have been touted in hemp plant research. Research, such as studies listed on Cannarchives, suggests CBD can help with insomnia and sleeplessness, depression and anxiety, chronic pain, epilepsy, and much more.
More people than ever are turning to CBD as a safer and more effective alternative to potentially addictive prescription medications. Users can ingest CBD, smoke, or vaporize it. The most popular way to treat insomnia and sleeplessness is with CBD oil by dropping it under the tongue.
CBD oil is extracted from cannabis or hemp plants, possibly along with other cannabinoids and terpenes. The cannabinoids are combined with a carrier oil which facilitates absorption and allows the body to make use of the CBD once it’s ingested.
Top Tips for Using CBD Oil for Sleep
CBD shows incredible promise as a way to help people find deeper and more restful sleep. To maximize the benefits of CBD, there are some tips you’ll want to follow. These tips will help ensure you’re receiving the full benefit of this impressive sleep aid.
- CBD is biphasic, meaning that it can have a significantly different effect depending on the dosage. Keep this in mind, as too high a dose of CBD can exasperate sleep problems instead of relieving them.
- For sleep, take a dose of CBD oil two hours before bedtime instead of right before bed.
- Consider trying breathwork in addition to using CBD to help wind down your mind before bed.
- A lower-strength (5-10%), full-spectrum CBD oil is considered the best option for achieving restful sleep.
- Taking CBD with a small meal or with a spoonful of another fatty oil (i.e., olive or coconut oil) can increase the bioavailability of CBD within your body.
- When dosing CBD oil, hold the oil under the tongue for at least 90 seconds before swallowing. Doing so will help facilitate the absorption process and ensure the utmost bioavailability so your body can make full use of each dose.
- Always purchase CBD oil that’s been verified through third-party testing. Third-party tests provide transparency and let you know what the company is providing what they say they are on their packaging.
- Carefully read the instructions on the bottle to ensure you’re taking the proper dose to begin or speak to your trusted seller online. All reputable online CBD stores have an instant chat system to answer all of your questions regarding dosage.
- You’ll also need to note the potency of the CBD if you’re trying a new brand. CBD oil is most commonly sold in 30ml bottles. A 30ml bottle may contain anywhere from 250-1000mg of CBD. A 30ml bottle with 1000mg of CBD would be four times the potency of a 250mg bottle. Starting with a brand selling smaller 10ml bottles such as Dr. Hemp Me is always the best way to start.
Read More: How to Use CBD Oil for Anxiety
Using CBD Oil for Sleep: A Step-By-Step Guide
Using CBD oil for sleep is easy, but there are some critical points to know before starting. Following the tips below will ensure that you’re using CBD oil correctly so your body can absorb it and provide you with the maximum benefit.
#1 Choosing a CBD Oil
Not all CBD oil is created equally, and there are a few important distinctions to consider when selecting the best product for you.
- The first thing you’ll want to consider is the different types of CBD available. You’ll come across CBD isolate, as well as products that are sold as either broad-spectrum or full-spectrum.
- We mentioned that CBD is one of about 80 different cannabinoids that are found in cannabis. In CBD isolate, all of the cannabinoids are removed, except for CBD. CBD isolate is ideal for people who are adamantly trying to avoid THC, such as professional athletes.
- Since the manufacturer removes all other cannabinoids, CBD isolate can’t take advantage of the entourage effect, and most people find it to be the least effective form of CBD.
- Broad-spectrum CBD oil contains nearly all the terpenes and cannabinoids extracted from the plant, except for THC. While there may be trace amounts of THC in a broad-spectrum product, quality manufacturers work hard to ensure they remove it fully in the extraction process.
- Broad-spectrum CBD is more effective than CBD isolate, as it’s able to utilize the entourage effect to provide more of the benefits CBD is known for. Still, it is generally not as effective as a full-spectrum product.
- Full-spectrum CBD contains everything the manufacturer extracts from the plant, including THC. I consider a full-spectrum CBD oil to be the purest and most effective form. From my own personal experience I would recommend choosing a lower-strength full-spectrum CBD oil for sleep and restlessness.
- The next thing to consider when choosing CBD oil is its potency. Most CBD oils are available in 10ml-30ml bottles. But, depending on the product, it can contain varying amounts of CBD. You’ll find 250mg, 500mg, and 1,000mg options. The more potent the product, the more expensive it tends to be. Most users opt for 250mg or 500mg CBD oil.
#2 Taking CBD Oil
When taking CBD oil for sleep, it’s best to take your dosage about two hours before bed. CBD oil reaches maximum effectiveness about 2-4 hours after it’s ingested, so timing your dosage right is crucial.
Measure your dosage in the dropper, drop the dose under your tongue, and wait 90 seconds before swallowing. It may seem like a long time, but this aids with absorption and ensures your body can utilize each dose to maximum effect.
More Reading: 5 Best CBD Oil Food Supplements in Ireland in 2021
#3 Managing Your Dosage
We know a lot about CBD and its effectiveness. But, there is no consensus within the scientific community on the proper dose of CBD for every person. In many of the studies that show the effectiveness of CBD, the therapeutic dosage varies considerably.
CBD is entirely safe and poses no known dangers to the human body, so you should feel comfortable experimenting with different dosages to find the ideal dose for you. It’s critical to start with a small amount and only increase it if you aren’t experiencing any benefits.
When experimenting with dosages, it can be helpful to keep a journal of each dose and the effect it produces. Start with a 20mg dose and note the effect after four hours. If you don’t experience the benefits you’re looking for, increase your next dosage by 10mg until you arrive at the ideal dosage.
Between a growing body of academic research and the anecdotal experiences of millions of people worldwide, CBD oil is revealing itself as an incredible treatment for various conditions, including sleeplessness.
Whether you’re hoping to find better sleep with CBD, you’re looking for relief from other conditions, or both, be sure to choose a quality CBD oil from a reputable manufacturer. Follow the instructions provided, and you’ll be well on your way to enjoying a more fulfilling life with the help of CBD.